I serve a Savior who came to seek and save the lost. There are so many that are lost that burden my heart tonight. We just watched an episode of 60 minutes that had Joel Osteen on it. I don't know if I should laugh because of his incredibly mixed up view of the gospel or cry because of how many people are being led astray by this view. He basically thinks that God is out to give us everything we could ever dream of and more. There are parts of what Joel says that are true about God. But, as another theologian that was interviewed described Joel's theology, he is reading the Bible as a "fortune cookie." He is taking the parts of the Bible that are easy to hear and that make us feel good and making that to be the extent of the gospel. Well, here are some things I know to be true of God because He clearly states it in His Word:
1) God is love--1 John 4:16 uses this exact wording but we see the love that God has for us over and over again, being demonstrated in the fact that while we were sinners, Christ died for us
2) God does far beyond all the we could ask or think (Ephesians 3:20)
3) God works all things together for good for those who love Him (Romans 8:28)
But these verses do not come without understanding these things that are also true:
1) Sin has separated everyone from God (Romans 3:23)
2) All sin is deserving of punishment, namely death ( Romans 6:23)
3) We will experience suffering and pain while on this earth (James 1:2 presupposes trials in saying "when you suffer" not "if")
4) We are not meant to find comfort or satisfaction on this earth because it is not our home (2 Corinthians 5)
5) God is the main point of it all..not ME (the whole Bible)
It is so sad to see the 95 million dollars that was spent (with much boasting) on Joel Osteen's new church building. It is sad to see the millions of people who are being led to a false view of God and therefore a false god by Joel's teaching. But, it is a glorious thing to know that God will use even this for His glory and that there is a purpose in God allowing Joel's teaching to be heard by so many. I do not understand the ways of the Lord, but I know that He will use this!
The second burden of my heart is for those who have everything that the earth can afford them, and are still empty. The second part of 60 minutes showed Tom Brady. Brady has 3 superbowl rings, fame, money, any girl he wants, and in his own words says, "Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there is something greater out there for me?" "A lot of people would say, 'This is what it is. I reached my goal, my dream…' Me, I think, God, it's got to be more than this. I mean, this isn't… what it's all cracked up to be." That is a plea for the gospel unlike any I've ever heard! It reminds me of John Mayer's song "Something's Missing."
Something's missing/And I don't know how to fix it/Something's missing/And I don't know what it is/No I don't know what it is
I don't know who God will use to tell Tom Brady and John Mayer about Jesus Christ, but I hope somebody does soon. I wish I could just sit down and talk with them--just for a few minutes out of their well-endowed lifestyle--and tell them that there IS something more and His name is Jesus Christ! As David cried out:
"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
He is the only one who can satisfy the pleasures we so greatly desire that this world can never meet. As CS Lewis so beautifully said: "If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world."
John Mayer and Tom Brady...this is the reason your souls are not satisfied. Your soul was not created to be satisfied on this earth...you were created by and for a God who is the only rest your soul will find.
//vagabond: moving from place to place without a fixed home; leading an unsettled life// I am a wanderer longing for the day when I can finally go home, but anxious to bring many others to enter that eternal rest with me.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Created for Another World
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment