Monday, February 23, 2009

Saving Power

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes."  Romans 1:16

I saw the truth of this verse on the train last week.  I was sitting on a train ride from Plzen to Cheb, where I will be traveling every weekend.  I was still adjusting to life in Czech, trying to let the reality that I was really here sink in deep into my heart. I was listening to a Francis Chan sermon about courage in Spiritual things, not merely physical things.  One of the specific things he mentioned was boldness in sharing the gospel.  I was sitting on the train in a cabin with 5 other women.  All but one got off at the same stop, leaving only one other woman and myself.  I turned off my iPod, answered a phone call from my friend, and sat there in silence with the woman.  

I could tell that her ears perked up when she heard me speaking in English.  So, I began conversation with her.  She assured me that her Czech wasn't good and it was okay to speak English.  I assured her that I didn't speak Czech anyways, and we began talking.  

She explained where she was going, where she was coming from, and what she did for a living.  She was from Germany, working in Austria, and heading back to Germany for the weekend.  She then began to ask me questions about why I was here.  She was surprised to learn that I was an American and was very interested to know why I would leave my family and be away from home for so long by myself.  So, I was glad to tell her. :)

You know those conversations where you immediately know that God is opening a door for the gospel?  This was definitely one of those.  It didn't take but 5 minutes for me to know (especially since I had just finished listening to a sermon on boldness) that God had placed this woman and I together on the train for a reason.  

The conversation quickly became focused on religion and each of our beliefs.  She believed that we can each find our own path to God.  That the mormon is just as right about what they believe as the Buddhist and the Catholic.  She then asked me if I believed the same.  "I don't believe that...but here's what I believe."  

I explained what sets "Christianity" apart from every other "religion" : Jesus Christ.  I explained that all other religions are so focused on human effort and striving, but that if Jesus Christ is who He says He is and did what He said He did, then no effort on my part is "good enough" for me to earn my salvation. Jesus Christ is our only hope for salvation and freedom from our sin. I don't really remember everything I said in that conversation, but it was so clear that God was speaking through me to share His truth with my new friend.  She asked about my experience with following Christ, when I made the decision to have a relationship with Him, and how I kept believing even when I didn't understand some things.  I shared with her the tangible difference that Christ has made in my life, the evidence that the Holy Spirit was living and working in me.

Tears began rolling down her face.  "I want to believe.  Some days I do, some days I don't.  Why?  Do you know why?  Why can't I just believe?"  

I shared with her that even the disciples, who walked with Jesus, saw His power firsthand--even they had moments of doubt and disbelief.  But I told her to pray--as the father did who wanted his son to be healed--"I believe, help me in my unbelief."  I told her that even those who do have a relationship with Christ have moments of doubt or confusion--but, we the Holy Spirit assures us of who we are in Christ.  So, I told her to pray.  Pray that God would give her the belief she can't have on her own.  Pray that He would make all those doubts be cleared so she can see with new eyes.  

And then, our train came to a halt.  She had to catch the next train on to Germany.  I had to meet my friends who were waiting for me.  So, we exchanged emails.  She wanted to continue the conversation and even wanted to know if there was some way we could meet together.  

This is why I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  There is no better news.  What could be more liberating and life-giving than knowing that your sins are paid for and that you no longer stand before a perfect and holy God condemned, but forgiven?  It is the power of God for salvation.  God's power was working in this woman's heart to speak a truth to her heart that she had never heard before.  

Please keep praying for my friend.  Pray that the Holy Spirit would continue to work in her heart.  Pray that I would be faithful in maintaining this friendship and that she would see Jesus Christ in me.  

Completely Unashamed,
Emily   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story, Emily! :)

Gosh, its awesome that God gave you that opportunity and you took it!

Not only are you helping bring light to Czech, but also Germany and Austria...

Zach said...

Unbelievable! I am blessed at how God is using you. Keep the stories coming and I will continue to pray for you as much as possible. Continue to be unashamed.

zach

Justin Loves Kimberly said...

Praise God! You're a light in every place you go...and you're not hiding it. You're an encouragement to all and you truly are 'completely unashamed'. Keep it up!

Praying for you,

Justin

Pastor Jason said...

I am so proud of you Emily! I am so blessed to have a sister that is unashamed and passionate about her relationship with Jesus Christ. You are such an encouragement to me and my wife and kids. We are praying for you and we will pray for your new friend. Joseph prays for you at dinner and at bed time and says he misses aunt Emily so much. We love you very much.

Serving with you,

Jason

Renelle Davis said...

Love it...most excellent! Praise God for your boldness and courage!

Jozef said...

Emily!! I am thankful for your story!
Wow...