The critical question for our generation--and for every generation--is this:
If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth,
and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed,
and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted,
and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied with heaven,
if Christ were not there?
{Taken from God is the Gospel by John Piper}
But, there was one little boy who sat there with his hand raised, shaking it in the air, about to burst if he wasn't called on. When I finally called his name, his question illustrated the staggering and vital difference between how I often think about heaven (as quoted above) and how I ought to think about heaven:
Miss Klopfenstein, will Jesus be in heaven?
Yes.
Really?! You mean, we get to be there with Him...forever?
The answer to Piper's thoughtful question above, of course, is simple: no. No, I wouldn't be satisfied in a heaven without Jesus. HE is what I was created for; to worship Him and enjoy Him forever. He is not just my ticket to heaven; He is the source of all heavenly and eternal joy.
So also you have sorrow now, but I will
see you again, and your
hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.
-Jesus
{John 16:22}
Did you catch that? The process? See Jesus, hearts rejoice, eternal joy. That's it. Nothing else is mentioned as the source of the joy apart from seeing Him. It's His presence that turns our sorrow into joy, not merely the absence of sorrow. He is our joy.
Not streets paved with gold. Not the mansion prepared for us. Not seeing friends and family who have gone before.
Jesus.
He really is there and we really do get to be with Him...forever.
And you know the best part? Eternal life starts now.
It's not a distant promise, yet to be fulfilled. It is certain and our life with Him begins now:
And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus
Christ whom you have sent.
{John 17:3}
He has come. He is God with us. We get to know Him and the power of His resurrection now. And that knowledge will only be more pure and perfect and full on that Day. So, how I enjoy spending time with Him now is preparation and a mere shadow for what is to come. Just as I need nothing else in heaven for eternal joy, I need nothing else on earth; all that is good apart from Him--whether in heaven or on earth--is merely a gift from Him, but not my source for joy.
So, there you have it: heaven without Jesus is no heaven at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment